Friday, April 14, 2006

"Footprints in the Sand"

Has it really been a decade since the rHu began? That is hard to believe. My earliest memory of there being any randal Haters was us punk kids climbing the contruction fence at the park across the street and "tagging" our logo in the sand beneath the jungle gym. Of course somebody called the cops, and before long some of us were running, some of us were hiding, and some of us were just standing there lying to The Man. Without the fuzz showing up then would there be an rHu today? Who knows.

I don't think the the rHu was ever even about randal hating. In fact, I don't think it really had any purpose. It was its own purpose. To me it seemed the like rHu was just an excuse more than anything else, but I can't put my finger on what it was an excuse for? An excuse to get together and break stuff? More than likely. An excuse to band together in a gang and feel more powerful than any of us did alone? Probably. Somehow the rHu gave me the license to do things I never would have done otherwise. And for better or for worse, that definitely affected who I am today.

And now we have sort-of come full circle. Though we're separated by state lines and hundreds of miles, here we punk kids are banding together, logging on, and tagging our name in the sand once again.

For ten years the rHu has kept me laughing. Here's to ten more.

2 comments:

Andy said...

it has been a decade since the label was made, wow...feeling old.
Fight the fuzz, i hate pigs.
i dont think it has to do with feeling more powerful, more of a reason to do stupid, but fun, stuff.

Anonymous said...

cheers!